Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] standing rigging

amelforme

HI David,

This is a perfect example of the "not invented here syndrome". If the
critic didn't invent it, it can't possibly be of any good. With all of
Amel's unique features, I see this a lot. Your surveyor and rigger are
wrong, and perhaps shortsighted.

Ten year old standing rigging that has spent most of it's life in the
tropics is ripe for replacement. Use NEW everything including pins,
turnbuckles, cotter pins..everything. Have a piece of the old rigging
tested to destruction. The results may shock you. Use Norseman or Staloc
end fittings.l

The Amel pole system is delightful, safe, and easy to employ during trade
wind sailing. The pole supports should be removed annually during your
comprehensive annual rigging inspection (you do inspect every inch of your
rig at least once a year, right?) and then re-installed carefully. Don't
over tighten them and they won't cause a problem. Folks who have trouble
with these pole supports usually don't remove them for inspection and just
keep tightening them, eventually crushing the 1 x 19 stainless wire.

My somewhat arrogant response to those who tell me a well proven Amel
concept "just won't work" (not invented here) is to tell them thanks but no
thanks in regard to their future services. There are over 1000 Amel boats
sailing today with the Amel pole system. 'Nuff said

I hope this is helpful

Joel F. Potter, 53' Super Maramu Millennium #400