From: Edmund Steele [mailto:edmundsteele@...]
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 7:43 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Drogues, Parachutes and Spare Sails

Does anyone have any experience with or comments regarding the use of drogues and parachutes for severe conditions? Several authors have stated their preference for drogues but the Pardeys in their book "Storm Tactics" seem to prefer a parachute off the bow. Hopefully none of us will ever need either but what do Amel users carry?

My second question regards "spare sails". I do have an ATF storm jib for severe conditions but do Amel users carry any spare sails (Genoa, Main or Mizzen) on long passages or just rely on Amel to send a replacement of a non-repairable sail at the next port of call?

Ed Steele

"DoodleBug" #SM331