Re: [Amel] RIBs or Other Dinghy Manufacturer Service History

john martin <symoondog@...>

Gary, clean off all the old glue and put the bumper on with 3-M 5200. Let it sit for one week and that will solve your glue problem. I put a towing bridle on my dinghy with 5200 and towed it for 5 years. As far as a dinghy is concerned there is no perfect answer. I carry an 8 foot non rib and a 11 foot non rib. I always keep one stowed in the aft lazarette. The other I just slide up halfway up the stern doing short passages, and stowed in the lazarette in long passages. Its cheap insurance to carry an extra dinghy and out board. Can you imagine waking up one morning on a remote island and find your dinghy missing?. I also carry a 3 and a 5 H/P Yamaha. Best engine world wide, bar none. Parts and service always available. Both are 2 cycle, don't even think 4 cycle if you going to travel around the world. I can understand people wanting to keep the air cleaner using 4 cycle engines, but these little engines we use are toys compared to the 200 and 300 HP engines others use.
John "Moon Dog". SM248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:21:39 +0000
Subject: [Amel] RIBs or Other Dinghy Manufacturer Service History

Hi All:

My Avon Rover 3.4 is 10 years old and I can't seem to keep the bumper on. Other than that she is in as good a shape as on day one. I have re-glued it several times and I am just plain tired of doing it. My Honda 15 hp 4 stroke engine only has about 150 hrs of operation on it and looks and runs like it is brand new. In addition I have about $400.00 worth of spare parts for the Honda that I have never used.

Nevertheless I am considering buying a Caribe LHT-8 foot RIB that is small enough to sit fore and aft on the aft cabin roof with the pontoons extending slightly on either side of the mizzen sheet. On rare occasions I might need to shift the ding to move the traveler back there.

My question is this: Does anyone have experience with Caribe dinghies? Do they last in the Caribbean? Stowage is a bigger deal than with my roll up air floor Avon, but I would be interested in a spirited discussion of the pros and cons of RIBs vs non-RIB dinghies and in particular the service life of the various brands.

Thanks for any opinions.

Gary Silver
s/v Liahona
lying Grenada