Re: [Amel] 220 volt puzzle on SM

Hi Kent, Ring main--thanks to this site I now know that I don't have one! It was my (mis)description of the 220v socket outlets. We have Gonzales coming tomorrow to sort us out but in the meantime I have come to the same conclusion as you, namely that the automatic switch for the inverter must feature high on the list of suspects. I have resisted looking into the two electric boxes in the engine room situated outboard and just aft of the genset--one is marked "Quai/Gen" and the other "Quai/Gen/Con" but I suspect that one or both may have been damaged by a surge in the marina power. I have looked at the back of the 220v panel--no visible signs of damage; the wires and breakers all look as though they were installed yesterday. What I did learn for the first time is that my inverter ( 1200 watt) seems only to be linked to the microwave and 22v sockets. That would seem sensible to me. Hopefully all will be revealed tomorrow. I will post the results.
Ian and Judy, Pen Azen,SM 302

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: karkauai@...
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:33:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [Amel] 220 volt puzzle on SM

I Ian,
Like Gary, I wonder what the ring main is...assuming it's the 220 outlets on the boat that run on the inverter unless there is 220 power coming into the boat, in which case they get power directly from the 220 source???

It sounds to me like there's a problem with the automatic switch that shuts the inverter off when you are connected to 220v power. It may be shutting the inverter off and not allowing the 220 power thru to the 220v receptacles and microwave. I know there are some breakers and fuses in my Hart Interface charger/inverter, but I'm not on the boat and don't know if these are designed to specifically for the automatic switch mechanism. Have you looked at the breakers and fuses?

I look forward to hearing what the real experts have to say...I'm just shooting from my position in the dark.
Kent
S/V KRISTY
SM 243