Re: Bilge Pump

Craig Briggs

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "LaFrance" <pflafrance@...> wrote:
Our Bilge Pump gearing has broken ...the nylon ring ..
Paul LaFrance
SV NOMAD SM362
Paul,
You don't say "how" it is broken - ours "broke" in that the nylon gear was spinning freely about the inner drive disk (there are fine spline grooves that make these turn together). The gear was in one piece and the teeth were OK.

I was able to drill three small holes (1/16") spaced around the perimeter and insert steel pins (cut off small finishing nails) flush with the gear surface and into the inner plastic drive. Well, one of the pins is actually the drill bit that broke off, so I just left it.

The repair has held perfectly for 4 years now.

Cheers,
Craig Briggs - SN68 "SANGARIS" in Messolonghi, GR