Re: [Amel] Re: bow thruster service

Ian Shepherd

I am confused by this. Whether the locking pin is in or not will not
affect seawater getting through the lip seal on the bow thruster prop
shaft. It may well affect whether sea water enters the boat if the
compression of the seals around the tube where it enters the hull is
marginal. When did you actually last check the gearbox oil? Can you be
sure that water has not entered the oil in the past two years? It will
depend on the amount of use of course.

Like you I leave extension to the very last minute. My prop losses
occurred due to torque not fouling lines. The original nylon holding
screws were a mix of small and larger ones. They were inadequate for
the more powerful electric motor that was fitted to later SM's.
Following discussions with Jaques Carteau the design was beefed up by
making all the screws the larger size. Since then I have never lost a
prop. Fishing line can be as big a hazard as rope.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader

On 07/03/2011 01:52, murray k. seidel wrote:

Sundance SM349 bow thruster has had some water in the oil, and two
years ago
I replaced the seals. But I have never have any leak since then.
Before that
seal change, the seal had not been changed since construction in Jan.
2002.
I have owned since Oct 2005 and the only time they leaked was when I
forgot
to put the locking pin in on the way to Bermuda from Wilmington. I
discovered my error, put pin in and no more leak. Because it is a drop
down
unit it is more vulnerable, which is why I put mine down only a short
distance before I need it after a quick scan ahead. Don't forget, a
through-hull thruster can also suck up lines and is harder to repair.
Murray
Seidel

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com