Re: [Amel] Bow thruster

Malcolm Phillips <MPhillips@...>

Hi Gianni,

The bearing at the bottom of the motor has failed due to the
boat having been sailed sometime

with the bowthruster down. The danger is that the rotor on
the electric motor is damaged and the

commutator requires to be machined. In any event, the bearing
is readily available and is retained

in the cast iron housing at the bottom of the electric
motor.

The best method is to disconnect and drop the bowthruster
assembly and then lower the electric

motor onto blocks inside the enclosure without disconnecting
the power cables. The end housing

can then be removed and the bearing replaced.

I have replaced the unit on a friend's S/M and would urge
some caution as the electric motor is

VERY HEAVY.!

The replacement electric motor from Amel is VERY expensive and
it is well worth contacting a local

DC rewinding electrician to skim the commutator and save the
unit.

All the Best 1

Malcolm, S/M 464 Bon Jovi