Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Hotwater tank anode

Thanks Vito, you werent kidding about the mess!What a lousy design..why couldnt they just have the anode on its own screw in from the outside....the good news however was that the existing anode was only about half used, after three years and about 18 months aboard.Ill look again in 2006!Ian

From: asm283 <no_reply@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Hotwater tank anode
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:54:02 -0000

Hi Ian

Replacing the anode in the hot water tank has been the messiest job I
have done so far on My SM # 283. Basically drain out as much water as
you can. Unmount the tank, unscrew the element at this point a lot of
water and rust will come out. You can controll the amount of water
that comes out and be able to capture much but not all. Remove the
element clean it, replace the zinc and reasemble. Spend the next 2
hours cleaning your engine compartment. The good thing is that your
heater will work like never before.

Vito Ciaravino
Wanderer

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Ian & Judy Jenkins"
<ianjudyjenkins@h...> wrote:
I have a Nautic 45 hotwater tank on my SM 302.Now three years old
I am
about to replace the anode. The instructions that came with the
boat are
actually for a different Nautic model but recommend that the anode
be
changed annually. Amel told me it wasnt strictly necessary to
change so
often unless we had been using shore power all the time, which we
havent
been .
I assume that to change the anode you drain down the fresh water
from the
tank, slacken off the two stainless fixing bands so that you can
move the
tank sufficiently to remove the plastic cover on the base whereupon
all will
be revealed, and that then its just a matter of undoing a nut in
the bottom
of the tank , removing the stub of the old anode and replacing the
new one.(
Im assuming that I will find that the anode has its own access
hole into
the tank and that its not , for instance, part of the heater
element
fixing)
If anyone has already carried out this operation and knows of any
problems
or tips that you should look out for, I should be interested to
hear.
Thanks, Ian Jenkins

Sign-up for a FREE BT Broadband connection today! http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband