Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Hotwater tank anode

Hi Ed, I got mine from Amel when I was last in La R. Its a pipe of zinc about 12 " long and .75" diameter with a screw attachment at one end. Ian

From: "edmund_steele" <edmundsteele@earthlink.net>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Hotwater tank anode
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:36:10 -0000

Hi Ian,
I am seriously contemplating the same task on SM331. Where did you
get your hot water heater anode? Is this something you can pick up at
West Marine or another special order item?

Ed Steele
DoodleBug

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ian & Judy Jenkins"
<ianjudyjenkins@h...> wrote:
Thanks Vito, you werent kidding about the mess!What a lousy
design..why
couldnt they just have the anode on its own screw in from the
outside....the
good news however was that the existing anode was only about half
used,
after three years and about 18 months aboard.Ill look again in
2006!Ian

From: asm283 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:54:02 -0000

Hi Ian

Replacing the anode in the hot water tank has been the messiest
job I
have done so far on My SM # 283. Basically drain out as much water
as
you can. Unmount the tank, unscrew the element at this point a lot
of
water and rust will come out. You can controll the amount of water
that comes out and be able to capture much but not all. Remove the
element clean it, replace the zinc and reasemble. Spend the next 2
hours cleaning your engine compartment. The good thing is that your
heater will work like never before.

Vito Ciaravino
Wanderer

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ian & Judy Jenkins"
<ianjudyjenkins@h...> wrote:
I have a Nautic 45 hotwater tank on my SM 302.Now three years
old
I am
about to replace the anode. The instructions that came with the
boat are
actually for a different Nautic model but recommend that the
anode
be
changed annually. Amel told me it wasnt strictly necessary to
change so
often unless we had been using shore power all the time, which
we
havent
been .
I assume that to change the anode you drain down the fresh
water
from the
tank, slacken off the two stainless fixing bands so that you
can
move the
tank sufficiently to remove the plastic cover on the base
whereupon
all will
be revealed, and that then its just a matter of undoing a
nut
in
the bottom
of the tank , removing the stub of the old anode and replacing
the
new one.(
Im assuming that I will find that the anode has its own
access
hole into
the tank and that its not , for instance, part of the heater
element
fixing)
If anyone has already carried out this operation and knows of
any
problems
or tips that you should look out for, I should be interested to
hear.
Thanks, Ian Jenkins

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/