Re: [Amel] Dolphin Battery Chargers

jlm@jlmertz.fr

*The best is to disconnect one or best the 2 poles direct in the battery
box.
*
1- I found my electrical installation is to dangerous (If I go away and
switch the battery to off there was power in the boat !!! ) and I
changed it definitely.
2- On this occasion I took the opportunity to leave only the bilge pump
powered at all times (which wasn't the case on CottonBay ! )

JLuc

Le 18/03/2011 08:54, Ian & Judy Jenkins a écrit :

Thanks, JeanLuc. I shall bear that in mind, though on this occasion,
as I am away from the boat, the good Sergio is sorting it out for me.
Incidentally, he sticks to a pretty basic rule which I have not seen
written anywhere else--whenever he disconnects wires he always
disconnects the negative wire first. Similarly, when connecting he
always connects the positive wire first. Is this the correct sequence?
it seems such an elementary point that I would have expected it to
appear in any handbook on electricity. Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen,
SM 302, Spain

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: jlm@jlmertz.fr <mailto:jlm%40jlmertz.fr>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:46:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [Amel] Dolphin Battery Chargers

I had on my 50A charger some problems,
if you are able to repair electronic you can do,
if not send it to the manufacturer.

If you send it to the manufacturer*be VERY careful on my SM316 if you
disconnect the battery with the 2 switches placed in the corridor the
battery voltage is NOT DISCONNECTED from the charger => BIG DANGER* ! .

JLuc

Le 17/03/2011 18:22, Ian & Judy Jenkins a écrit :

Hi Anne and John, Thanks for that. I suspect that the Spanish
distributor had his eye on the main chance--I have since found out
that the modern replacement sold by Reya is priced by them at 851
Euros ( much the same price as in 2003). As a matter of interest why
would you prefer the 100 Ah version? The Reya website recommends
their
Model 30, Code 299712, as being appropriate for a battery capacity of
500AH, 24 volt. " Model 30" seems to be based on the fact that the
maximum output on the DC side is 30A. Ah, the black art of marine
electrics... Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Spain

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: annejohnholl@gmail.com <mailto:annejohnholl%40gmail.com>
<mailto:annejohnholl%40gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:21:27 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Dolphin Battery Chargers

Hi Ian and Judy, My boat is only a few weeks older than yours and
has two chargers,30 and 50 amp.I had a problem with one and sent it
back to Reya who repaired it and sent it back promptly and so far
as I
recall it was not very expensive.I removed the circuit board and only
sent that to reduce weight. The company is in the S of France and the
web site is Reya. com. Email export at reya.com but my contact was an
Irish girl lucy.kelly at reya.com The phone no is 0033 0493904700.
The man who had his electronics destroyed by a lightning strike got
new ones at the expense of his insurers and perhaps you could do the
same as you have an agents report that yours is irrepairable. From
memory the standard SM only had a 30amp charger and the 50 was an
extra. I have little doubt that if I had to replace my chargers I
would go for the 100 amp version The modern versions are a bit
different and and have an adjustment for the type of battery with a
choice of about 6 or 7 types.The instruction manuals for the current
models is on the Reya web site. Incidentally when I had mine repaired
I asked them to make it as their standard model as I had little faith
that the Amel version was as good as the Reya version.
Happy charging, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM 319