[Amel] Re: All Battery Chargers

drew_gaffney <drew.gaffney@...>

We had the same experience when we bought Revelation. The previous owner had Reya repair his 30A charger. A few months later, when we met to inspect Revelation prior to purchase, the Dolphin had stayed in bulk mode, boiled a fairly new set of Trojan T-105's totally dry and ruined them!
We installed a Xantrex Freedom inverter/charger, which replaces the Dolphin 30A unit and gives us the capability of getting 220V 50Hz AC from 60Hz shore power. It's also sometimes handy to be able to run the microwave for a minute without having to start the generator.
Our 100A Dolphin also failed. The fan stopped (it was fine, the PCB was not...) We managed by opening the charger and using an external fan while charging until the end of the season. As long as the charger was cooled, it charged.
We replaced it with a Victron 100A charger, which fits nicely in the same space and has worked well for the past year. It was half the price of a Dolphin replacement.
We have found that we do need to equalize periodically. The charge rate declines and a full charge takes longer and longer. The Xantrex will do equaliazation, but ONLY if you purchase the external control device, approximately $125 USD. The 24V controllers are not available, but Xantrex says the 12V units can be kluged to work. We typically use our Balmar alternator to equalize, getting our SpGr back into the 1.250-1.285 range.
Finally, some have questioned the need for the 30A charger. I think the 100A charger will pop most marina shore-power breakers...
Cheers,
Drew
S/Y Revelation SM390
Lying Coffs Harbour, AU

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Gary,

My 30 amp charger did the same thing,

It burned up my whole bank.

I returned it to reya and for about 125 US they repaired it.

I also replaced my batteries with group 31 sealed lead acid batteries.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

Da: no_reply@yahoogroups.com <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>
Data: 19-mar-2011 17.19
A: <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> >
Ogg: R: [Amel] Re: All Battery Chargers