Not to drag this on to long however when you speak to battery people you may very well find that none will suggest a 30 amp charger for the size battery banks we feed. We have for the last 5 years used as suggested an 80 amp smart Delphine with complete success both on the hook/Gen set or dock side with 50 or 60 cyc. A 30 amp charger will continue to cause issues.

Regards
Richard Piller

On Mar 19, 2011, at 19:58, kimberlite <kimberlite@optonline.net> wrote:

Gary,

My 30 amp charger did the same thing,

It burned up my whole bank.

I returned it to reya and for about 125 US they repaired it.

I also replaced my batteries with group 31 sealed lead acid batteries.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of gtesta23@tin.it
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2011 12:42 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: R: [Amel] Re: All Battery Chargers

Hi Garry,
we are now in Panama, Colon. With us an other SM ABORA with the same
problem.
But we don't have the solution.
I'll ask directly to REYA FR.
all the best
Gianni
EUTIKIA

Da: no_reply@yahoogroups.com <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>
Data: 19-mar-2011 17.19
A: <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> >
Ogg: R: [Amel] Re: All Battery Chargers

Hi Gianni:

I installed 12 new Trojan SCS225 deep cycle batteries about 9 months ago.
They are flooded lead acid batteries.
I chose to have these since I had understood that absorbed gas matt (aka gel
cell) batteries didn't tolerate
the heat of the Caribbean well. My engine starting battery is a Deka and is
a high cranking power battery. Not
sure of it's number but it was a group 31 battery and I considered buying 12
more to serve as my house
batteries because they were compatible with the existing Amel copper bar
connecting plates. The supplier
didn't have 12 more available and I further researched the one I had and
found that it was not a deep cycle
battery and thus decided on the Trojans.

At any rate, we were in a marina for a few days after having been charging
on the generator for a few weeks,
and I had the 30 amp Dolphin charger on to "top up the batteries" One
morning I came from the aft cabin
and while walking through quarter-berth companionway, placed my hand on the
berth mattress and noticed
that it was very very warm. I opened the battery compartment and found all
the batteries actively gassing
and bubbling to overflowing electrolyte. Using an infrared thermometer I
measured the temp of the batteries
at 135-145 deg F. The voltage was about 28.3 volts. As I recall they were
still having 18 amps pumped into
them even after 36 hrs on the charger. It seemed that the 30 amp Dolphin
charger had failed to switch from
"bulk" charge to float charge. Fortunately the batteries didn't have the
plates exposed and hopefully they do
not have warped plates from the excessive heat.

I called the Dophin charger people in the US and spoke to them. They
suggested re-setting the charger
by disconnecting the voltage to the charger, letting it sit for 30 minutes
and then reconnecting to the
batteries. I did this by "turning off the main battery switches" assuming
that I was indeed disconnecting
the charger from the batteries. When I didn't see any change in the behavior
of the charger I assumed that
the charger was faulty. As we were leaving the boat I didn't take any
further action to trouble-shoot the issue.

Now, with the information that the battery switches don't disconnect the
batteries from the charger (at least
on SN 318, and will shortly be determined if that is the same on my boat),
perhaps my old Dolphin 30 amp
charger can be made to behave. At any rate, I will no longer take the
automatic functioning of my charger
for granted, and I am considering installing a temperature alarm on my
battery bank so I won't risk
destroying $3,000 US worth of batteries due to a faulty charger. Watch your
battery temperatures, and the
amperage going into the battery bank carefully as it sounds like your
charger is doing the same thing
mine was.

Just my thoughts,

Gary Silver

Amel SM 2000 #335
s/v Liahona

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "gtesta23@..." <gtesta23@...>
wrote:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggestions
I have 12 new DEKA lead acid deep cycle batteries. About 630 Ah.
My Dolphin 30 A charger works slowly up to 28.1,2 v. Than, I suppose, it
should go down to about 27 /26.5 v in stand by. ( no boost).
The my one seems to remain at 28.1 for long time boosting few amperes.
Is the charger to little for my 630 Ah ?
thanks in advance
All the best
Gianni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM 428