Supaer Maramu Steering

Graham Boyd

I recently had a boat yard look over my SM No140. They were concerned about the the amount of "play" in the steering system. The wheel moves up to 4" before the rudder moves. This is attributable to the rack and pinion assembly directly behind the wheel which connects it to the rods connecting to the rudder. Maybe this "slack" in the system is normal or baybe I need to replace the rack and pinion mechanism in the locker behind the steering wheel.

Has any one had any problems in this area or comments to make?

Graham Boyd
SM 140 SULA
Hong Kong