Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Pointing ability of Super Maramu

Horst Pause <horst@...>

Hello All,

I have read the various messages about the pointing ability of your boats, saw, to my
horror, the suggestion to have an inside track fitted. Please don't - the Amel boats are
the only ones where one can walk around on the deck without having to wear shoes
with steel caps!

Also, it must have occurred to you that the (flatter) in-mast mainsail may have some
influence on the drive of the boat when she's pointing high. I have only compared this
on two Maramus, one with furling, the other with conventional main - the difference was
just under 5 degrees (they both had reasonably new foresails).

Anyway, a ketch is not supposed to win races round the cans.

Horst

'
' Hi David
'
' I agree with everyone about the pointing ability of the SM. On my
' boat with a new 140 headsail by super sailmakers I am seeing about 40
' dg apparent. This weekend I came in 2nd in one of the local races. My
' main competition were a Cardinal 46, J35 and a Benetau 42s7. Boats
' known for their performance characteristics. In winds of 25 to 30
' knots I held my own against these boats to windward and nailed them
' off the wind. Most of the other boats including a J35 were nowere
' close. Any pointing ability that I gave up to my competition was more
' than made up to the ability of the SM to stand up to a breeze and its
' pure speed.
' --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "davidcrisp" <david@f...>
' wrote:
' > Hi All,
' >
' > How close hauled should a Super Maramu sail? The best I can do is
' > 45deg apparent, which basically means going to windward is very
' slow
' > and frustrating. In calm seas I can pinch up to maybe 40deg
' > sometimes but speed suffers badly and I usually end up with an
' > accidental tack. Am suspecting (hoping) I have a problem. Having
' > raced a lot I believe I know how to trim sails and I have a new
' > genoa.
' >
' > So is 45deg apprent normal? If not anyone ahve any suggestions as
' > my problem?
' >
' > Regards
' > David
' > Gallant of Fowey
'
'
' To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
'
'
'
' Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.