From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of Kent Robertson
Sent: Mon 4/4/2011 7:29 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel] Draining of water from chain locker

Hi, Belit,
I own SM 243, and cleaned my chain locker out last Fall.  I thought the water drained outside the boat, but discovered that it actually drains through a hole in the bottom of the locker out through the grey water system into the bilge.  There is a valve under the cushion in the middle of the vee berth near the forward air conditioner that was closed until I discovered it.  The chain locker was full of water and salt.  I took all the chain out onto the dock, reversed it, and flushed the chain locker clean before I brought the chain back into the locker.  It is hard to get to (I had to get my girlfriend, Dawn, to undo the shackle on the end of the chain because I couldn't get but one arm into the locker).  The entry via the watertight door could have been a little bigger, but since I won't have to get into the locker very often, I'm happy having a watertight chain locker in the event of holing the front of the  boat.  I do close the valve when I'm
underway, but when I'm at anchor or on the dock, I open the valve and flush the locker with fresh dock water once in a while to keep salt from building up.

Hope that helps.
Kent
SM 243 KRISTY