Re: [Amel] Re: Draining of water from chain locker

Ric <ric@...>

On my SN24 1990 santorin there is a valve for the anchor chain locker
drain in bow thruster locker. This drain is easily plugged with mud,
plus a secondary point (valve) where the shower drain connects at a
tee then to the bilge. There wasnt a strainer to remove hair, thereby
causing the anchor locker to fill. Took many wet bunks, tons of water
under port salon settee. To get it sorted.

Ric Gottschalk
Bali Hai SN24

On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:01 AM, "sv Sangaris" <sangaris@...> wrote:

Belit,
I also have a '92 Santorin.

The chain locker drain hose is on the port side and runs to the
forward side of the Shower drain pan in the forward head. It has no
valve.

Water runs from the chain locker, into the shower pan, then out the
shower pan aft to the grey water sump. There is a valve under the
dinette seat that you would close in an emergency were the forward
end of the boat to become flooded and you were closing it off with
the water tight door.

If yours is not draining well, that is, if water is accumulating in
the chain locker, you can easily back-flush with a water hose from
the shower pan. Do that several times, letting any debris run back
into the shower pan. (And while you're at it, you can also flush out
the hose that goes aft into the grey water sump.)

Btw, my forward deck locker floor also rotted out (port side). After
I fixed it I made an open slatted louver that I use in place of the
solid one into the chain locker (on the starboard side of the
forward bulkhead). This allows fresh air into the chain locker to
prevent future rotting. When we make passages I put the solid one
back in place to keep the forward bulkhead water-tight. (Well,
except for the drain hose that runs into the shower pan - your bilge
pump would come on and alert you to the fact that you were taking
water into the chain locker or the deck lockers.)

Craig Briggs SN#68 "Sangaris" in Greece

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "belitbh" <belitbh@...> wrote:

Thanks Kent and Jim,

Forgot to mention that actually have reached the locker after
repairing the floor of the right forward locker as the wood was
exposed under the epoxy...(was humid and the spare anchor was
sitting there directly on the floor and sharp steel + heavy whether
x salty water + epoxy cover = cracks and rot apparently), however,
did not understand fully, assuming the valve is in the same place
(my is Santorin) when open the valve it goes directly to the sea
unlike when it closed than goes to the bilge?
if not so, where the water supposed to go when the valve is closed?

Belit