From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Anne and John Hollamby
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel] Insurance Comparison

I have been covered by Pantaenius UK Branch for the past 18 years without a
claim for 16 of them, being very impressed with their sales line under the
now retired MD Barry Sullivan. A couple of years ago we were anchored in a
north facing bay on an island with a forecast of southerly winds. A squall
came through from the north in the middle of the night and we had to up
anchor in 40/50 knots towing our nearly new dinghy as a charter boat was
dangerously close. First the dinghy was upended and the old 5hp engine went
and then the dinghy broke loose and was lost. Pantaenius was not generous
but did pay for the cost of a new dinghy but only allowed 100 euros for the
old engine BUT they deducted 50% under the terms of the policy as the dinghy

was not on board. I thought that this was very mean as it was not
unreasonable to leave the dinghy in the water but locked on with a long wire

in view of the forecast. We had saved the yacht from being damaged by the
charter boat and avoided the risk of being driven ashore. Their only saving
grace was that they did not penalise me with the deductible. I was not very
happy after all those years bearng in mind the £35,000 that I had paid them
over that time.
Back in 1991 my then yacht was severely damaged in Newport, RI and I was
very unhappy with my insurers but I suppose it was not their fault. Their
loss adjusters employed a surveyor who produced a poor spec on which he got
several quotes ranging from $55,000 to $212,000. With hindsight the moral
of that story was that I should have employed an independent surveyor/loss
adjuster although that is easier said than done as most surveyors get much
of their income from insurers. In the event I had the boat shipped back to
the UK where a good surveyor got three estimates ranging from £72,000 to
££78,000.
I then had a meeting with the brokers and my surveyor and he astonished me
by saying that he could not act for me during the repair process as the
insurers were major clients of his.

Happy sailing, Anne and John, SM 319