Re: Delivery and Crossing

Stephan Regulinski

Bill,

Here are a few thoughts:

(1) 110 vs 220. If you want to enjoy the benefits of lower prices
in the US for computer gear and such, you ought to consider a 24v to
110v pure sine wave inverter. I bought one from WM and had Amel
install in the wet locker. It cost $600 or $700 as I recall and has
allowed me to acquire a CD burner and printer (among other things) in
the US for my laptop at half the cost of one in the MED. This also
has the advantage that when we sell the boat, all the electronics
will still be usefull when we return to the states.

(2) If you are shipping by sea, you can ship hazardous materials
that cannot be shipped by air. These items include all inflatable
stuff (life raft, inflatable life jackets, MOM8 or equivalent, etc.),
flares, and so forth.

(3) If you are shipping by sea, note that most companies charge by
the cubic meter not by the pound. Hence shipping dense stuff makes
sense. I shipped all the tools that I thought would be useful, two
dingies, two outboards, two spare anchors, etc, etc on up to about 11
cubic meters!

(4) Why ship so much stuff? VAT in France runs just under 20% and
prices on a lot of stuff starts out higher than in the US.
(Particularly if you are buying with a West Marine new boat card [ask
Joel Potter]). Once I decided to go by sea, it made sense to
provision the entire boat that way. However, pay attention to the
shipping schedule. You will need to allow at least six weeks off the
West Coast, less from the East.

(5) Note that the Amel comes with a lot of stuff that you may think
you have to buy for yourself. For example, it comes with fenders,
docklines, dingy inflation pump, two hair driers (!), one boosun's
chair, one vacuum cleaner, etc. etc. I wound up returning a bunch of
stuff to WM.

(6) If you want more chain, get it in La Rochelle. It needs to
match the windlass. Further, spare parts for anchoring gear should
be bought to fit the chain, so get them in La Rochelle.

(7) In California, I was able to avoid state sales tax on big-ticket
items by having the vendor ship to my shipping company. Thus the
dinghy and outboards went directly to the shipper.

(8) Amel will give you the name of an import agent that will help
with clearing customs. I found this person very helpful.

Good luck,

Stephan (Delos SMM #303)

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "wcreed2" <wcreed2@y...>
wrote:
My name is Bill Reed and I am taking delivery of my Amel on
December
15th in La Rochelle. I am sailing it to Guadaloupe and then on to
the states. I am in the process of preparing my packing list and
would appreciate any advice from those that have taken delivery in
La Rochelle and made the crossing. Specifically, I would be
interested in a packing list that breaks down what was procured
prior to departure for France and what was procured in La
Rochelle.
Would appreciate any comments on the merits of U.S. documentation
vs. foreign documentation.

Thanks

Bill Reed
Amel SM 2000 "Gallatea"