To: amelyachtowners@...
From: svsummerlove@...
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:19:54 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Re: Amel Orange Boot Stripe and corrosion in engine room

I would think that intentionally painting the boot stripe at an angle that isn't parallel to the water for marketing purposes is out of character for Capt Henri. If he wanted to "pose" a boat for the marketing literature photo with no anti-fouling paint showing to make it look "dynamic", I believe he was clever enough to artificially load one for that purpose, rather than painting the stripe in the wrong place on 450 boats. Nor do I see him sacrificing function for "eye appeal".

I'm not talking about simply raising the boot stripe 4" so the stern is barely out of the water, and the bow is now 12" out of the water. I'm asking about the consequences of changing the angle of it down the length of the boat so that it's 4" to 8" out of the water all the way to the stern. I've already got 8" of "dry" anti-fouling paint at the bow. I don't need 4 more inches.

Example:

If I want the fiberglass along the waterline to remain free of growth, I have 3 choices:

1. I can leave the boot stripe where it is now, and try to balance the boat with weight distribution so the bow rides 4" lower and the stern 4" higher.

2. I can change only the "location" of the entire boot stripe by raising it 4", so it is now 12" out of the water at the bow, and 4" out at the stern.

3. I can change both the "angle" and the "location" of the boot stripe so it is 4" out of the water along its entire length.

Since the boot stripe of every SM I've seen rides bow high with the stern in the water, it can be assumed that either none of the owners are capable of proper weight distribution, or the boot stripe was painted in the wrong place to begin with.

My concern is that, assuming the naval architect who put it there knew what he was doing and had a good reason for doing it, I don't want to alter the angle of the boot stripe without knowing that reason.

Does anyone know that reason?

Many thanks,

Steve
SM340
Summer Love

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Richard03801 <richard03801@> wrote:

In the normal loading for ocean work all the Amel seem to need the water line raised seems the Capt wanted the "sales" appearance to be more dynamic. We too collected an marine forest on the waterline and stern. Grant when healed over cross for days you will get growth on the leeward side as it is under water.

Smooth sailing.

Regards
Richard SM 209 ANNAPOLIS FOR SALE.

"Yacht Brokerage Service above and beyond the expected"

Walczak Yacht Brokerage Service LLC
2 Compromise St
Annapolis, MD 21401

Cell 603 767 5330
Office
Fax

www.Walczakyacht.com

On May 22, 2011, at 17:49, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@> wrote:

Hi all, we too have the low stern. Knowing Amel do nothing without good reason and they build this model for many years without changing the waterline I wondered if they expected more ground tackle weight in the anchor locker than most of us have or more heavy items stored in the bow lockers?.
Corrosion in the engine room. A friend with a SM asked me how come my engine room is so free of corrosion and rust and his was so bad. The answer is WD40 or in NZ, CRC 556
Spray it regularly and liberally over just about every thing including alternators and electric motors. Makes a huge difference.
Regards
Danny and Yvonne
SM299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui New Zealand