From: Ian & Judy Jenkins <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:03 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel] Lofrans windlasses

Hola Jorge, I really recommend that you use a snubber when you anchor. Not only does this mean that your winch is only carrying the weight of the chain when you are using it but , more importantly, if your winch starts to unload of its own accord---or if the chain jumps off the gypsy-- you are still safely attached to your anchor. We use a snubber every time we anchor, a simple stainless steel hook attached to about 10m of octoplait. Never had a problem detaching it in all conditions over the last 17 years, certainly over a thousand anchorages. Fair winds, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ibiza

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: jorge.zlatar@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:52:30 -0700

Thanks everybody for your comments, I will change them to the deck mounted switches, easy to get anywhere and I think they have less problems.I realize this is something that you can´t wait that they fail to change them..I received a comment of another Amel owner, that had this problem in 40 knots and 4 mts seas, the anchor went loose and the damage was Eu 100.000. The switch is Us $ 10.00.