Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rig tuning

Hi Joel, On the subject of rigs, how tight do you make your backstays? Every other part of my standing rigging is very tight but my backstays have always had a fair bit of play in them.Would you tighten them to the same extent as the rest of the rig? Ian Jenkins, Pen Azen SM 302

From: "Joel F. Potter" <jfpottercys@...>
To: <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rig tuning
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:10:38 -0400

Hi Vito,

I NEVER advocated a loose rig. It's dangerous to have loose rigging on an
AMEL. Most riggers/yards loosen the rigging because most boats are tuned
loose because they flex. Amels are tuned very tight because they don't
flex. You shouldn't have much sag in the headstay and very little, if any,
real slop in the lazy side shourds.

TIGHT IS RIGHT. NEVER LOOSE.

Hope this helps.
Joel SUPER MARAMU MILLENNIUM #400 "MARY BROWN"