Re: [Amel] Maramu out haul gear box

Mark Hayden

Eric,

Thanks for the comment. Your pictures/diagrams were very helpful in removing the shaft. I posted a picture of the bracket I used in your SM Outhaul Service photo group as another approach to getting the shaft out that avoids bringing out the ol' sledge hammer. Hopefully it will be helpful.

After spending severals days getting that apart, I will be following your lead with servicing it every year.

Did you ever find a good US source for the Leroy-Somers gearboxes?

thanks, Mark

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Mark,

I had the same problem last year. I finally resorted to removing the boom
turning it upside down. I then supported it on wood blocks.

I installed a black grade cap screw in the hole in the shaft until it was
flush. I then did go medieval on it with a large sledge hammer. It did come
out after about 15 swings. I now use an antiseize compound from McMaster
Carr every 6 months.

As a ps the shaft comes out easier if you remove the screw from the arm that
goes into the Antal winch drum.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite