From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:27 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Leroy sommers- out haul gear box part number

It seems like quite a few people are tackling the problems servicing their
outhaul gearboxes. I happened to notice the other day that the top lip seal
was shot on mine and started on a two day project to disassemble the
gearbox.

I tried just about everything to get the inner shaft removed, except
"getting medieval with a sledge hammer" as one of the other owners
demonstrated. After bending several 8mm steel brackets and breaking my
puller tool, we finally succeeded with a 20mm thick steal bracket that was
fabricated for the purpose. The nice thing about the approach that finally
succeeded for us was that all the force was placed on the outer shaft of the
gearbox, none on the boom or the other components of the gearbox. I'll post
a picture when I have a chance.

I found the model information posted by one of the other owners here:

Manufacturer: LS Leroy Somer
Made in France
6015 Angoulene
Reducteur N 0256889
Type MVA M33C
Rduction 1/60

I have not been able to reach Leroy Somer via their contact page. Can anyone
recommend a reliable and inexpensive source to order the gearbox or parts
from? Any pricing info?

One other question: it seems that the outhaul gearbox causes more problems
than the main sail furling gearbox. Is that right? Is the latter just less
exposed to the elements?

thanks, Mark

SM331