From: Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 8:43 AM

Kent,
    All mine are manual, but it is a good thing to have DC motors checked every 10 years or so
   The carbon brushes gradually wear away, and leave a residue of carbon on the commutator. This should be cleaned off and the gaps between the copper strips cleared of any build up. This is a simple but skilled job, so if you are uncertain, better get a good electrician to do it. If the brushes are worn below 50%, I, personally, would replace them whilst you have the motor in bits.
    Most DC motors use standard brushes, probably a standardeuropean size - your dificulty will be to find the equivalent, but there again an electrician used  to dealing with DC motors should have access to equivalents.

Good luck- Mike

PS: remember Murphy's second law of yachting   "Interchangeable parts don't"