Re: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches

karkauai

Thanks Chris, that's what I needed to hear.  I'll pull the motors when I clean the winches and find someone in Chaguaramas who can service them.
Kent

--- On Tue, 6/14/11, Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 8:43 AM

Kent,
    All mine are manual, but it is a good thing to have DC motors checked every 10 years or so
   The carbon brushes gradually wear away, and leave a residue of carbon on the commutator. This should be cleaned off and the gaps between the copper strips cleared of any build up. This is a simple but skilled job, so if you are uncertain, better get a good electrician to do it. If the brushes are worn below 50%, I, personally, would replace them whilst you have the motor in bits.
    Most DC motors use standard brushes, probably a standardeuropean size - your dificulty will be to find the equivalent, but there again an electrician used  to dealing with DC motors should have access to equivalents.

Good luck- Mike

PS: remember Murphy's second law of yachting   "Interchangeable parts don't"

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches

Thank you, Mike.  As KRISTY is 12 years old now and I don't think she was maintained the last 4-5 years before I bought her, I'm trying to go over everything systematically to avoid things going bad while I'm out cruising.  (At least as much as possible.)  I'll have a look at those bolts and drain holes while I'm at it.  Would you do anything with the motors themselves if all was working OK?
Kent
SM243
KRISTY

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.