Re: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches

jlm@jlmertz.fr

If you want to clean the winches by yourself I recommended you to do the
work *_with an ultrasonic washer_*
it coast between 50-100 euros and You can also clean many other thinks
(engine injectors, etc..)
results : 1 to 2 ours per winch :-)
jluc
cottonbay

Le 17/06/2011 15:18, john martin a écrit :
Hi Kent,

I think you are worrying too much about your winches. They rarely break down, and if they do, it is no disaster.

But if you really want to get them cleaned professionally in Trinidad, try Winch Works, a fellow named Ian Chai Hong. Phone 633-5389 home and cell 774-0808. He is very knowledgable about winches - that's all he does. He quoted me US$75 to US$125 per winch, which was way too high for me. He also quoted me US$500 to overhaul the outhaul winch and gear box on the main boom. His quote included new seals in the box and painting it. He said he had a special puller to get the shaft out. I thought that was a decent price if the thing was actually broken down but it was working fine and I didn't think paying $500 for maintenance made sense. I believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Anyhow, I was very impressed with this fellow's knowledge of winches and of Amels. I just wasn't impressed with his prices. (Another reason we left Trinidad and went to Venezuela to get our serious boat projects done.)

Regarding your electric motors on the cockpit winches, I wouldn't even think about taking them apart to clean them or whatever. They are factory sealed, used very little really, and are probably like new inside. Even if they quit it would be a mild inconvenience. Head the boat into the wind and hand pull and hand crank on the thing. Also remember those types of electric motors are not rocket science and can be readily repaired in most any 3rd world country.

John
MOON DOG
SM 248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: karkauai@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:26:01 -0700
Subject: Re: [Amel] SM2000 Lewmar Winches

Thanks Chris, that's what I needed to hear. I'll pull the motors when I clean the winches and find someone in Chaguaramas who can service them.
Kent