Re: 110 Volt Power

kimberlite1212 <no_reply@...>

the amel plug has 3 wires a green and yellow and two hot 110 volt
wires. The usa side has a green, white, black and red.
when you connect the amel to the 220 volt 50 amp twistlock you do
not use the usa side white. the green and yellow goes to the usa
green
the other 2 amel wires go to the red and the black.
AGAIN do not use the us white (neutral side).
I have had no problem connecting in the virgin islands and in the
USA. I leave the 50 amp twistlock connected to my boat and use a
number of adapter cords that i have made to connect elsewhere.
Fair winds,
eric Freedman
Kimberlite sm 376

when you connect this to a twist --- In
amelyachtowners@..., "edmund_steele" <edmundsteele@e...>
wrote:
Walter,
If the marina you are planning on visiting can handle the depth
and
length of an Amel, they will most probably supply 50 Ampere /
220Volt
power. The supply outlet may in the form of a single twist lock
plug.
The plug contains 4 connectors which are both phases of 110 volts,
common and a ground wire. Many boaters (the majority are power
boaters) in the USA will then use a "splitter" to separate this
supply into two 110 volt cables which are then plugged into their
vessels as two separate cables. For the Amel, we simply plug the
single 220V cable directly into the boat.
Some marinas supply two 110 volt twist lock plugs on a post. These
outlets are of opposite phase so they can be combined to produce a
220 volt supply. This is the inverse of the "splitter" mentioned
above and can be purchased from WestMarine (www.westmarine.com).
WestMarine call this a "Reverse Y Adapter" Model 491985 and it
sells
for US$409.99

I have only once had to use a transformer to get 220V from 110V
and
that was because I did not have a 220V extension cord at the time.
This approach is also very limiting as you probably won't be able
take enough power off the 110 volt supply to run air-conditioners
without throwing it's breaker.

BTW, anything that has 220V on it tends to cost a fortune in the
USA.
For example, a 50 foot 110 volt extension cord may sell for US$40
but
a 50 foot 220 volt extension cord may cost near US$600. If you are
not
afraid of using a screwdriver, you can cut the plugs off a 110
volt
extension cord and replace the plugs with 220 volt plugs.
Ed Steele
DoodleBug SM331