Re: Propane Conversion

kimberlite1212 <no_reply@...>

I found a great marine plumbing supply in the marina in la Rochelle.
He has a kit of 3 adapters that will convert your system to almost
any gas supply. i used this while i was in europe. for the trans
atlantic trip i decided to convert to propane.i found it very easy
to convert from butane to propane.
i removed the wood butane rack, tanks , and regulator also the "T"
connector at the solenoid. i added a adapter that i purchased in
home depot from "i think 1/4 inch" pipe thread at the solenoid to
the hose that connects to a trident wall mount regulator. i mounted
the regulator to the underside of the top of the gas locker. from
there i used a single hose to either of my 2 tanks. a 20 and 10
pound aluminum tank. I do not like the idea of having both tanks
hooked up at once . when you run out of gas you are 100 % out if
both are hooked together. i prefer to switch to a new tank manually.
we crossed the atlantic with 5 crew including a professional chef-
who cooked too much- on less than 10 lbs of propane.
Fair winds,
eric

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "edmund_steele"
<edmundsteele@e...> wrote:
Hi Walter,
We ("DoodleBug SM331") switched our system from Butane to Propane
3
months ago. The plywood rack that holds the butane bottles
unscrews
into its component parts. The base is lightly glued into place and
pries out easily. I put in two aluminium tanks of 20lbs and 10lbs.
capacity plus two regulators - all purchased from WestMarine. I
cut a
piece of 3/4 inch plywood to match the base of the locker, with
two
cut-outs to hold the base of the tanks.
The hard part was getting a fitting to hook the regulators into
the
electric shut-off valve. I solved this by purchasing a connector
plus
a couple of hose clamps from a propane supply store. This involved
me
cutting off the connector from the butane hose and replacing it
with
the purchased connector.
The burners on the stove require no adjustment but the oven burner
needs to have the air tube adjusted. We have the Eno brand stove
and
it requires the air tube gap at the gas jet, be adjusted from 6mm
(butane) to 4 mm (propane). I used an appropriately sized allen
wrench to measure this.
Pressure test the system before you fire it up! We now carry 30lbs
of
propane versus the Amel supplied 12 lbs. of butane.
Ed Steele
edmundsteele@e...