Re: Propane Conversion

edmund_steele

I replaced both butane regulators as supplied by Amel with propane
regulators. I pressure tested the rig with one bottle disconnected
and the gas does not appear escape "backwards" through the regulator
that is not attached to a bottle.
To be doubly sure, I asked the propane supply company if they could
give me the top valve from a propane bottle. They had a bucket full
of discarded bottle valves and gave me one. I am now able
to "terminate" the regulator that is usually attached to the bottle I
am currently taking to be refilled by attaching my bottle adaptor and
closing its valve.
I can still switch bottles while under sail by just closing one valve
and opening the valve on the reserve bottle. I don't have to switch
regulators or leak test while underway and if one regulator should
crap out, I can operate the system on the remaining regulator.
Fair Winds and No Propane Leaks.
Ed
DoodleBug

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite1212
<no_reply@y...> wrote:
I found a great marine plumbing supply in the marina in la
Rochelle.
He has a kit of 3 adapters that will convert your system to almost
any gas supply. i used this while i was in europe. for the trans
atlantic trip i decided to convert to propane.i found it very easy
to convert from butane to propane.
i removed the wood butane rack, tanks , and regulator also the "T"
connector at the solenoid. i added a adapter that i purchased in
home depot from "i think 1/4 inch" pipe thread at the solenoid to
the hose that connects to a trident wall mount regulator. i mounted
the regulator to the underside of the top of the gas locker. from
there i used a single hose to either of my 2 tanks. a 20 and 10
pound aluminum tank. I do not like the idea of having both tanks
hooked up at once . when you run out of gas you are 100 % out if
both are hooked together. i prefer to switch to a new tank manually.
we crossed the atlantic with 5 crew including a professional chef-
who cooked too much- on less than 10 lbs of propane.
Fair winds,
eric

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "edmund_steele"
<edmundsteele@e...> wrote:
Hi Walter,
We ("DoodleBug SM331") switched our system from Butane to Propane
3
months ago. The plywood rack that holds the butane bottles
unscrews
into its component parts. The base is lightly glued into place
and
pries out easily. I put in two aluminium tanks of 20lbs and
10lbs.
capacity plus two regulators - all purchased from WestMarine. I
cut a
piece of 3/4 inch plywood to match the base of the locker, with
two
cut-outs to hold the base of the tanks.
The hard part was getting a fitting to hook the regulators into
the
electric shut-off valve. I solved this by purchasing a connector
plus
a couple of hose clamps from a propane supply store. This
involved
me
cutting off the connector from the butane hose and replacing it
with
the purchased connector.
The burners on the stove require no adjustment but the oven
burner
needs to have the air tube adjusted. We have the Eno brand stove
and
it requires the air tube gap at the gas jet, be adjusted from 6mm
(butane) to 4 mm (propane). I used an appropriately sized allen
wrench to measure this.
Pressure test the system before you fire it up! We now carry
30lbs
of
propane versus the Amel supplied 12 lbs. of butane.
Ed Steele
edmundsteele@e...