oops, slip of the finger.
Danny

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 14 July 2011 10:04 AM
Subject: [Amel] Re: Quiet Wind Generator

Hi Danny and Yvonne

"Hi All, we have a German made Super Wind 350 amp wind generator"

--------------------------------
Have another look, 350 Amps very unlikely.
More likely 350 Watts.

David C

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi All, we have a German made Super Wind 350 amp wind generator on the top of the Mizzen mast of our SM. The super wind is a very wellbuilt unit designed for remote locations and minimal maintenance, it has automatic feathering blades so there is no need for intervention in strong winds. We have it running at all times and in all conditions.It is silent and efficient, noise wise we wouldn't know it was there. Need better than 10 knots of wind to get significant charging, 20 knots it really gets going. Comparitively it is an expensive unit but we think value for money.

Danny and Yvonne
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 14 July 2011 6:21 AM
Subject: Rép. : [Amel] Re: Maramu prop shaft alternator poly-V belt and Maramu repowering

Having owned and used a wind generator (Windbugger) for 25 years and sailed many thousands of miles with it, I must assure that underway, the prop shaft alternator (PSA), which on my Mango produces 10+ amp at 7 - 8 knots, and more  at 9 knotsm is very useful.

On my Columbia 37, the wind generator has to be stopped underway if the sea is a bit choppy because the movements exerts such a pressure on the bearings that they can be ruined in a day. Anyone who has held a turning bicycle wheel in his hands knows the gyroscopic effect that creates a resistance to any change of direction. Imagine the power exerted by the Airmaax 59'' propeller on the bearings, as the boat sways and rises in the waves. For the Windbugger the noise and the vibrations transmitted to the hull by the schedule 80, 4'' SS pipe on which the generator is mounted are an indication. Obviously smaller propellers create a lesser gyroscopic load.

The advantage of the wind generator is that it works day and night if there is a bit of wind.

But some of these wind generator not only make noise disturbing for those aboard, but when I see one of those small generators that look like a white bird, I avoid anchoring closeby...

As for the prop shaft alternator, its a must for long range cruising, It does not significantly slows the boat but provides enought energy for all navigation instruments, the running of my Autohelm autopilot, as well as the refrigerator and freezer, and the portable computer, and the HF radio (one hour a day).

Sadly for the SM owners, the motor and shaft setup does not allow for a PSA.
I have not examined the efficiency and drawbacks of a the various water propelled generator set  at the rear end the boat.

Serge, V Opera, Mango #51

FOR SALE
LAETITIA II
info: www.columbia37.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.