Alterations we made,Bali Hai SM319

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

We have just loaded a photo album showing some of the things we have
changed.Nos 1,2&3 show a much more user friendly cockpit seat.It is
based on a New Zealand made pedestal which has gas filled struts to
raise it and to move the seat fore and aft. The pedestal cost about
£100 about three years ago made by softrider@.... The seat
shell is available world wide but it would have been better if I had
picked one with a hand hold at the top of the back. The seat and top
half of the pedestal lift off to give easy access to the locker.
The hard bit about fitting it is removing the Amel seat which is
fixed with a few bolts and sealant. The latter is removed slowly
with a long bladed razor knife whilst pressure is applied to
separate the Amel seat. This suddenly comes free and lands on your
head as you will be standing in the engine room.
Locating the pedestal is simple but the light in the engine room has
to be taken down to cut away the insulation to make way for a
reinforcing pad of 12 mm ply underneath the pedestal.Bolt the
pedestal through the pad using sealant. Refix the insulation and
light and have a beer.
You now have a problem as the table is homeless.This we solved with
a brilliant table mount from Sweden. It costs about £100 and is
very
well made. It consists of an aluminium plate which we bolted on to
the side of the cockpit just forward of the reinforcing web in the
locker. The plate comes with two nylon wedges to make it fit
vertically and a ply pad to reinforce the inside of the locker.
There is then a vertical strut to fit the plate and a horizontal
strut to fit that. There is another plate which is screwed to the
underside of the Amel table top and this fits onto the strut. The
whole thing can be turned and raised as needed. We did not put the
plate in the centre of the table as this made it more adaptable. The
whole thing dismantles and goes in the locker when not needed.
The chart table seat requires the removal of the stool which is
through bolted under the cabin sole and then removal of the wooden
pad which is securely siliconed to the floor.The pad was removed
carefully bit by bit by the great Christian at La Rochelle. He also
provided a new thicker pad which we moved forward so that it just
hid the hole which was for the stool.The pedestal was then bolted
down with bolts made from studding and Dome nuts to be long enough.
The cabin sole is extremely strong and needs no reinforcing
underneath.The easy adjustments afforded by the gas struts mean that
they are much used to work in comfort at the chart table.
To be continued including supplying a fax no for the table struts.

Best wishes from Malta, Anne and John