Re: [Amel] Re: Maramu prop shaft alternator

David Mackintosh <sv.highland.fling@...>

Hi Kent

You dont need a fixed prop you can use a MaxProp and 'force' it to stay open
so you can have regeneration when you want it and no prop drag when you dont

Most people dont know that you can have the MaxProp stay open to drive a PSA

IF you have a PSA then use it IF you dont have a PSA Wind and Solar
generation then the CBA for Solar PSA and Wind is very hard to justify vis a
vis burning diesel....................IF you are limited in your ability to
purchase diesel (you are going to be sailing well off the beaten track)
then that will need serious consideration and may perhaps override the CBA.

I wonder if Bill would chime in here re CBA of wind/solar vis a vis burning
diesel.

regards

David

On 20 July 2011 01:21, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

**

Do those of you with wind generators use them when at sea? Do you see any
problems with performance as the boat moves with the seas? I'm not
experienced with either wind or PSA generators, but with wind it seems to me
the wind is driving the wind generator essentially independently of what
it's doing to the sails, unless the wind is coming from astern and
interrupting the flow of air on the sails. If you're dragging a fixed prop
it wouldn't seem to make much of a difference using a PSA, but if you're
using a feathering prop as many are, the turning prop would seem to me to
create additional drag.

I'm guessing that just the additional turning of the gears for hours on
end would, at some point, create additional wear on them. How much,
significant...I wouldn't hazard a guess.

When I do finally get retired and head to the S. Pac, I'll consider both,
and solar as well.

This has been a great discussion...thanks to all.
Kent
SM 243

Kristy