Adding grease to Genoa and Main furling gearboxes on SM

Jose Venegas

Danny,

Thanks a lot for posting your method for adding grease to the gear boxes. I started to hear ominous sounds during Genoa furling and rapidly added two careful drilled and threaded access ports to the gearbox. I used a thread equal to that of the access ports to grease the auto prop as I was going to use the bronze screws that remained from a recent overhaul of the propeller. However, I thought it would be best to use nylon hardware to avoid any possible electrolysis. Using the same grease gun I had for the prop, I injected new
grease into one port and allowed it to flow out of the other while periodically running the motor in the direction that forced the grease in the opposite direction of the second port, that is around the worm gear. This was done until the color of the exiting grease was close to that of the one I was injecting.
Magically the ominous sound calmed down to an quiet purr and I believe the life of this gearbox may have been prolonged for a few more years!

I plan to post a couple of pix of the process as I get back to the boat.

Thanks again!

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Constitution Marina, Boston