Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: trip around the horn

Geoffrey Tyers <geoffrey_tyers@...>

While delivering my recently aquired Sharki from
Florida to Charleston the main sail, 50% reefed in a
I35-40 kt squall was ripped and shredded. This came as
a surprise as the Surveyor had prononced the sail to
be in good condition.
I mention this to restate the need for U.V. protection
not only on the head sail but also on the leech of
both the Main and Mizzen. Upon investigation it was
determined that the wide throat in the mast allows the
sun to weaken that part of the sail exposed and whilst
the bulk of the sail is protected the leach is slowly
being rotted away. In my case the leach ripped and the
strong winds took over from this weakness. The bright
side is I now have a wonderfull new main for less than
2 "boat units". They even installed the logo
--- Philippe Guyot <baligand@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello Eric & Stephan,

Very interesting
discussion.Could Eric let
me know what a foam luff is. I also added an UV
protection to the genoa but
it seems that the added weight make the luff vibrate
a lot in 25 Knots + and
inascapabily so when reefed. But I must admit this
was already the case
before only it took higher wind. No amount of fine
tuning the sail has
helped alleviate the problem. Have you experienced
the same problem and
found solutions.

We are currently at
Fort Lauderdale and will
be headed for Central America and Panama.

Philippe Guyot
Baligand SM 245