Maramu Popeye sails to new home

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

Maramu #91 Popeye is now at her new home in Port Douglas. Two of us sailed the 800 miles from Brisbane in 6 days including one stop in Mourylian for 12 hours (to time our arrival for the day time for the sake of the welcome party!). We had variable seas with sometimes large swells before getting inside the reef and all downwind sailing in 15 to 30 knots of wind. Great sailing - much of the time goosewinged at over 7 knots and only a couple of hours on the engine. Top speed down a wave was 10.6 knots. (Popeye has a good fully battened mainsail.)

Never having sailed a maramu before buying Popeye I am very impressed. The dodger, uncluttered deck and deep cockpit layout work so well and the thought gone into the details of the design are obvious. For passagemaking I can't think of any improvements. The original Neco autopilot worked well and was kept going with power from the shaft alternator. I just need to work out how to make the autopilot less busy, maybe I will have to resort to reading the manual! The motion through the water and the unstressed way good downwind speeds can be maintained are great. In a couple of big squalls the boat felt solid and safe. Most importantly the kids and wife love it having not seen the boat until it arrived here.

There were lots of shooting stars, beaut sunsets and a few humpback whales, including one just metres from the boat. If I can figure out how to post a short video with a link here...

John