From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Hollamby
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 3:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Re: Genoa sheets and runaway winches

Hello Craig,
On the Super Maramu the breakers for the anchor and the other electric
winches are separate so that should not be a problem. In ten years we have
never made this boo boo before and nor have we ever switched the winches
off...ever. From now on we shall allways turn them off when we stop as we do
with the instruments. I was astonished nothing broke as the forestay was
pulled a long way back.
Lesson learned.

Best wishes from the Ionian, Anne and John, SM319

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "sv Sangaris" <sangaris@...>
wrote:

John,

Good "head's up" and whilst we don't have electric winches on our
Santorin, we have occasionally activated the furlers and anchor windlass
by setting things on the switches when moored or at anchor. Have tried
to get in the habit of turning off the main breaker when done sailing -
does that also deactivate the electric winches on a SM? Granted, we
sometimes forget to turn it back on when hoisting anchor, but it's a
small nuisance.

Cheers, Craig Briggs - "Sangaris" - SN#68

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Hollamby"
<annejohnholl@> wrote:
.....the port winch started running of its own accord ...