From: Ian Shepherd [mailto:g4ljf@compuserve.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 4:30 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: trip around the horn

Hi Again,

I always keep the poles rigged when under way. You are right, they do
offer a lot of security when folded. When single handed, you just cannot
go overboard, and they bridge the gap between the fore guy and the
dodger hand hold very well.

I too had a pole fold in mid Atlantic on the previous boat. It did not
damage the rub rail, but it did break the rivets. Luckily I did have
spare large rivets and a gun that would form them, and I was able to
make repairs very quickly. Had I not, it would have made a grim
crossing.

Another point to consider is the sideways load on the mast when a single
pole is deployed. In can be considerable, particularly in gusts or when
the pole strikes the water. It might be prudent to rig both poles to
offset the sideways load for peace of mind. Unfortunately, the genoa
sheets as supplied by Amel are too short to do this unless you furl the
headsail a bit. I replaced my sheets with a longer set (158-160 feet
long if I remember correctly. 10 ft more per side). This will enable
both poles to be deployed at the same time. It also makes gybing down a
zig zag course very straight forward!

The idea of using the forward cleat to reduce fore guy stretch is
interesting. I must try that. Thanks for the tip.

Ian Shepherd

"Crusader"

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c04pie8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070832810/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.
com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=372566928>