Re: trip around the horn

resolute56s

The solent stay is attached to the mast just 3 feet from the
masthead, thus no runners were needed. The maramu had only a single
spreader rig and small foretriangle, so this worked well. The
deckplate fitting bolted through the longitudnal bulkhead dividing
the forward sail lockers, essentially two chainplates, one on each
side of the bulkhead, extending from deck level about 18 inches and
bolted with 6 large bolts. This attached just aft of the windlass.
Only downsides were we had to keep the backstay pretty tight (around
25% of the wire's breaking strength) to keep the rig well tuned, and
we couldn't get a ton of tension on the solent stay so there was a
decent amount of sag in the stay. However, this never seemed to be a
problem and the boat sailed great with that 70% jib on hanks in a
stiff breeze.

If we had had a super maramu, we would have rigged it as a cutter
with removable inner forestay at the level of the second set of
spreaders and also added running backstays. Unfortunatly, to sail
properly upwind one would need an inner track for the staysail
sheets, and it would obstruct the nice clear amel splashdeck, but
would be worth it when needed. Most boats that sail from Puerto
Williams have a cutter rig and fly a very small staysail on roller
furling (almost invariably profurl). They use these small heavy
sails frequently down there, so the roller furling makes sense. We
were kind of sticklers for weight and windage aloft because the ketch
rig already suffers in this regard.

On another note, if doing it again we probably would have increased
the mainmast rigging to 3/8". The mizzen is overrigged in stock
form, but the standard rigging of 5/16", while appropriate for the
sail area, is not quite matched to the ballast the way it would be
for a sloop. With 3/8" wire, we could have left tension similar to
that with 5/16" wire, but had much less stretch to deal with and have
an extra margin of safety for a modest penalty in weight and
windage. Not sure about the SMs rigging, but if you're headed real
high latitude, I might do these calculations (can find them in
Dashew's encyclopedia for example) and think about the rigging,
particularly if the wire already has over 25,000 miles or 5 years on
it.

Ben
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlt@o...>
wrote:
Dear Ben,
Thank you very much for the info.
How was the solent stay rigged. What did you attach it to and how
did
you strengthen the deck and below deck fittings?
Did you install running backstays?
Thanks A lot.
Fair winds,
Eric