Re: 220Volt Power

rossirossix4 <equinoxsolstice@...>

I had a few AC related questions and thought I would link them to
this earlier discussion about AC power.

I've purchased a Marinco "reverse Y" for my 1993 Santorin and have a
couple of questions. The boat has a 220 cord in its lazarette with
a French? three pronged male fitting on the end using three
straight,round contacts in a "v" arrangement. The plug is labeled
10 amps. Does any one have any recommendations for how to mate it
with the "reverse Y" female plug?

The 220 volt cord in the lazarette is not very long. I already have
one 50' 110v Marinco cord. It seems to make sense to just buy
another matching cord and connect the "reverse y" closer to the boat
or even in the lazarette with two 110 cords. Does anyone have any
advice on this?

I've been told that ABYC standards require a breaker within just a
few feet of where AC power enters the boat. Mine doesn't go through
a breaker until it gets to the GFI breaker in my galley panel. Any
thoughts on this?

Thanks, Bob "Hanalei"

--- In, kimberlite1212
<no_reply@y...> wrote:
the amel plug has 3 wires a green and yellow and two hot 110 volt
wires. The usa side has a green, white, black and red.
when you connect the amel to the 220 volt 50 amp twistlock you do
not use the usa side white. the green and yellow goes to the usa
the other 2 amel wires go to the red and the black.
AGAIN do not use the us white (neutral side).
I have had no problem connecting in the virgin islands and in the
USA. I leave the 50 amp twistlock connected to my boat and use a
number of adapter cords that i have made to connect elsewhere.
Fair winds,
eric Freedman
Kimberlite sm 376

when you connect this to a twist --- In, "edmund_steele"
If the marina you are planning on visiting can handle the depth
length of an Amel, they will most probably supply 50 Ampere /
power. The supply outlet may in the form of a single twist lock
The plug contains 4 connectors which are both phases of 110
common and a ground wire. Many boaters (the majority are power
boaters) in the USA will then use a "splitter" to separate this
supply into two 110 volt cables which are then plugged into
vessels as two separate cables. For the Amel, we simply plug the
single 220V cable directly into the boat.
Some marinas supply two 110 volt twist lock plugs on a post.
outlets are of opposite phase so they can be combined to produce
220 volt supply. This is the inverse of the "splitter" mentioned
above and can be purchased from WestMarine (
WestMarine call this a "Reverse Y Adapter" Model 491985 and it
for US$409.99

I have only once had to use a transformer to get 220V from 110V
that was because I did not have a 220V extension cord at the
This approach is also very limiting as you probably won't be
take enough power off the 110 volt supply to run air-
without throwing it's breaker.

BTW, anything that has 220V on it tends to cost a fortune in the
For example, a 50 foot 110 volt extension cord may sell for
a 50 foot 220 volt extension cord may cost near US$600. If you
afraid of using a screwdriver, you can cut the plugs off a 110
extension cord and replace the plugs with 220 volt plugs.
Ed Steele
DoodleBug SM331

Join to automatically receive all group messages.