Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] espar heater

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Eric,

I can't tell you the BTU output as I am in Cyprus at the moment, but the unit is mounted in the port side cockpit up and under the horizontal part upon which the winches are mounted. So you don't see it, and it does not rob you of any useful storage space, though caution is needed as it can get hot.

Later boats have the air intake in the rope box in front of the mizzen. Earlier boats have a flap in the cockpit sidewall above the seat. This was a pain as it is easy to forget to open it before firing the Espar up. The result was overheating and an automatic shutdown.

To retrofit one of these units may prove very difficult when it comes to installing the ducting around the boat. I remember that Amel specified a deadline by which I had to specify a diesel heater during construction. I am glad that I chose it. It was worth it's weight in gold whilst in Greenland and Labrador.

Good luck

Ian

SM2000 "Crusader"