Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] espar heater

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Eric,

sounds like you are most of the way there if you have the ducting already in place. I guess you have the stainless pipe through the aft heads too? It makes for a good towel heater. The fuel piping is routed down the engine room rear bulkhead and is T'd into the outlet from the Racor filter. On later boats, the Espar intake pipe is molded through the rear of the port side seat locker into the rope box. You lose a small amount of storage space in the locker, but the overall gain is a better looking cockpit and no worries about not opening the intake flap before starting the heater. There is also less risk of sea water getting down the intake too if you use it underway.

I shall be fitting a carbon monoxide detector soon. I believe that they are available for about $50 from Wal-Mart in Canada, and of a good design. A friend of mine is bringing me one back. He is a GA pilot and has fitted these units into several aircraft. Once I know the make and model number, I will circulate it here.

I am not sure when I will get back sailing. Yes I was on my way from Newfoundland south to Panama but I have suffered a major setback (again). I won't go into details on here for the moment, but if you send me your email address to g4ljf@winlink.org I will update you on my sailing plans.

Cheers

Ian