Re: [Amel] Current in the bow truster at starting !! (link is her corect)

jlm@jlmertz.fr

I totally agree with your philosophy but I am very enraged, in Collerie
again AMEL after sales,
And on the second hand, about the AMEL 54, I have not only good feed
back (mast, air conditioning etc..),
So I really look an alternative,
Merci for you contribution,
JLuc

Le 10/10/2011 14:58, Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe a écrit :

J'luc,

Be careful what you wish for. You are upset now, but will likely
change your tune when you change to that prestigious brand made in
multiple yards without sufficient forethought in the combination of
complicated systems.

I know several Oyster owners that wish that they had bought an Amel
and one of them will even admit it.

A friend of ours owns a Oyster 62 and has constant problems with
repairs with difficulties receiving the proper parts. His 3
refrigerator/freezers quit on him in Bonaire. The
refrigerator/freezers shared a common part...I think it was the
compressor, but do not remember for sure. He was without refrigeration
in all 3 units for 6 weeks waiting for Oyster to get him the correct
part. At that time his Oyster was about 6-8 years old.

After 30,000 miles and an almost complete circumnavigation, the bow
thruster on BeBe works the same as when we bought her. We service the
bow thruster every 18-24 months with new seals, new prop hub, new
nylon screws and new oil.

I will also say that the bow on BeBe moves faster with the Amel bow
thruster than any Oyster I have been on or been near when in operation.

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Cyprus

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, Jean-Luc MERTZ <jlm@...>
wrote:

Hi all,
I agree with you if you rapidly change the direction you can loss your
propeller, so I couldn't measured the current in this case.
So to limit as possible the start current and toque at starting or by
rapidly direction change I will try to add an soft-start by adding an
start resistor. Hopping it was enough
jluc

Le 10/10/2011 12:18, Richard03801 a écrit :

Hi all checking current draw a motor start will ALWAYS show a high
draw without put much power output due to having to start rotation.
When the thrusters is loaded (pushing water) what is the load? When
you rapidly change direction the loads on the prop and the motor go
way up. AMEL designed the unit to move the bow of a 25ton yacht. The
plastic screws are there to protect the drive package, operation of
the unit in rapid direct change will cause problems.

Regarding a brand change you may want to interview a number of owners
of boats you may be considering, you well find AMEL to still be your
best choice.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

"brokerage beyond your expectations"

On Oct 9, 2011, at 12:23, "Jean-Luc" <jlm@...
<mailto:jlm%40jlmertz.fr>> wrote:

I broke without making a wrong action :
- All nylon screw of the propeller,
- The motor shaft
- The internal parts

so I recently measured the current in the bowthuster: 950A! at
starting.
You can see the graphics in the Photo section :

Hopping it can help you anderstandsomme some problems.
jluc CottonBay