Re: Batteries

jjwiggin02 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ian & Judy Jenkins"
<ianjudyjenkins@h...> wrote:
On our SM, 302, June 2000 launch, now lived aboard for 18 months,we
find
that at sea we run the genset about every six hours for an hour to
an hour
and a half on each occasion. Less when at anchor without autohelm,
nav
lights radar etc.Our first batteries ( we have 420 amps) lasted two
years,
since when I tend to recharge when we are down to 90% ( We found
that the
fridge cut out somewhere below 87% notwithstanding the fact that we
still
had 24v).
I find that the recharge quickly up to 99% but that those last few
amps,say the last 7, take for ever.
Does anyone know how important it is to always recharge to 100%?
The one thing I would suggest when running the genset is to check
that the
220v fan is working ( put your hand over the outlet in the cockpit
coaming.
) Ours failed in the Caribean and the extra heat in the engine room
was
appparently the reason why our 50 amp charger failed after 3 years,
to be
followed by the 30 amp one ten weeks later.This, despite the fact
that both
chargers have heat cut outs.The first failed in Guadeloupe and was
beyond
the knowledge of Pochon for a speedy repair.but both were repaired
by Manuel
in Ecuador ( thank God for the third world--they still know how to
fix
things there).He said he had never seen anything so hi tech and
powerful in
such a small box--the last time he saw such a powerful gadget it was
the
size and weight of his mother in law!
The cost of a new 220v fan ,one new 50 amp and two repairs was
unwelcome,
and I don`t understand the need for the 220v fan. The two 24v fans
are much
more powerful,give you an element of redundancy, much cheaper and
can be
sourced anywhere.Is there a good reason why they could not be wired
up to
come on with the genset just as they come on with the Volvo/Yanmar?
Ian. Pen
Azen
Azen,

If you are trying to charge to 100% you will be running your genset
far more than necessary. Conventional wisdom is that it is bad for
the batteries to go below 50% and that above 80% further recharging
becomes increasingly less cost-effective. Therefor an optimal program
would be to dischage to 50% and re charge to only 80%. Crossing the
Atlantic 19 days with 6 people, radar on most of the time,
transmitting daily on SSB, two refrigerators and a freezer, we ran it
for 1 to 1 1/2 hours twice a day.

Hope this helps,

Jim Wiggin, ANTARES, Amel SM