Re: [Amel] Amel 54 Survey

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi the filters I was sneaking are the fuel filters and the pre water maker ones you can buy them most anyplace that sells marine parts including the Budget Marine the in Antigua. I like to use very fine Raycore fuel filter as if they are by far easier to change the engine mounted units. I'd also suggest you add a charcoal filter to the fresh water system before the pump to clean what comes from the tank.

Regarding having pulled the head have it re torqued after about 10 hours. Gaskets need time to take a "set".

The islands are wonderful if you keep your "street" eyes open.

Call anytime with questions or just to talk boats

Regards SM209 for sale at Epic in Annapolis

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Oct 28, 2011, at 8:34, "Duncan Hagemeyer" <wdhagemeyer@gmail.com> wrote:

Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I had the Volvo agency in Antigua A 1 pull the heads and inspect the pistons and everything looked fine. Thy are replacing all the hoses. Apparently the lack of use had them fouled. I passed on the order to replace the filters. Your comment; “carry larger than normal” is that referring to they must be Amel design? I hope they can find the right size. I will have to take the boat to Martinique in the next month or so anyway to get the warranty mast fix done.

Yes, the boat was priced lower, it was also in the right place for me. Last winter I spent a lot of time shopping the island condo market and Antigua kept coming back as an attractive location. They have a golf course and is a sailboat center. It took me a bit to accept that the government is really working to solve the past crime issues. Since 82 I have sailed almost every year in the Caribbean and I still hold out hope for the idealistic view. At the end of the day, the islands cannot allow drugs and crime to take hold. Tourism is there economic life blood. As a young man on Dominica once told me that we are a people of unparalleled civility, we are taught to smile and take your money.” I laughed and told him that was brilliant, I hope that never changes.

Duncan

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Richard03801
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:05 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel] Amel 54 Survey

Hi thanks for the up date based on what I've seen on line you're getting a great boat at a great price. Keep in mind there may be a few things that'll need a bit of cleaning with WD40 or CRC56. Oh yea be sure you polish the fuel and change ALL the fuel filters. Carry a larger then normal. Any questions at all call.

What will your home harbor be.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Oct 26, 2011, at 11:06, "Duncan Hagemeyer" <wdhagemeyer@gmail.com <mailto:wdhagemeyer%40gmail.com> > wrote:

Richard,

Thanks for the evaluation. The Amel surveyor did a quick once over yesterday. Today is the big day of tests. He came to much the same conclusion….’shore leave’ and in need of maybe a relay…as a Frenchman maybe he was referring to a switch. Otherwise he said it was really clean inside and no moisture problems were found. Also no sign the hull, keel or rudder ever got hit.

Duncan

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Richard03801
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:38 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Amel] Amel 54 Survey

Hi given the time this boat has set on the hard the issues you are seeing are in all likelihood a result.
The connection ad the switch for the windlass and the main sail motors are most like in need of replacement or a shot of Crc56 or similar product. There is no issue with the motor as it runs.

It would be good to get a photo of the rudder sleeve issue. It is most likely the packing has to be replaced on the rudder shaft a rather simple task.

Regards Sm209 for sale with Epic in AnnApolis

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Oct 26, 2011, at 8:51, "wdhagemeyer" <wdhagemeyer@gmail.com <mailto:wdhagemeyer%40gmail.com> <mailto:wdhagemeyer%40gmail.com> > wrote:

We are in the survey process and have discovered that the following problems have been discovered:
1. one of the windlass' motors will allow the chain to go down, but not retreive the chain.
2. the motor on the mainsail will not work and the mainsail will not set
3. there is a support sleeve on the rudder post that appears to have a bit of wiggle/play at the contact point. is this trouble and should it be replaced?

Thanks for the help.

Duncan

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.