Re: [Amel] Amel 54 Survey

Duncan Hagemeyer

Hi Richard,

I am depending on A 1 to handle the engine issues at this stage. I will contact Carl with your suggestion on torqueing. Makes sense. What we did discover in the survey is the membrane for the Amel watermaker is finished and the pump did not appear to work for the surveyor. He and I have not spoken in two days and he is writing up the report. Maybe that changed. How difficult is it to get the Amel parts? Where do you get the parts?

I know what you mean about the "street eyes" open. I suppose that can be said for any marina in the world. In their eyes the vendors just see $ signs. Sad but many invest a life's saving just to be there.

The survey showed that the main cabin Bose entertainment unit and an inverter were ruined by what the surveyor stated was "rainwater entering the cabin from what was an open hatch." He thinks that the hatch had to be open for day as the water collected under the bunk. The good news is there is no water marks or stains on the Amel woodwork and the floor is fine. Some of the bedding was ruined by water and mildew. But it was isolated to this one area. I signed the agreement to buy but I stressed to the broker and prior owner that they should have a complaint based on the surveyors independent analysis with settlement in my favor. It remains to be seen if they do so....after the fact. I think I will take it up with Festus or Jolly Harbor's management as it is a material issue on the value I paid and where I will feel comfortable leaving my boat in the future. You apparently know Festus well. Do you think it is appropriate of me to make a request for compensation given that the issue was between he and the old owner?

Duncan
On Oct 29, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Richard03801 wrote:

Hi the filters I was sneaking are the fuel filters and the pre water maker ones you can buy them most anyplace that sells marine parts including the Budget Marine the in Antigua. I like to use very fine Raycore fuel filter as if they are by far easier to change the engine mounted units. I'd also suggest you add a charcoal filter to the fresh water system before the pump to clean what comes from the tank.

Regarding having pulled the head have it re torqued after about 10 hours. Gaskets need time to take a "set".

The islands are wonderful if you keep your "street" eyes open.

Call anytime with questions or just to talk boats

Regards SM209 for sale at Epic in Annapolis

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Oct 28, 2011, at 8:34, "Duncan Hagemeyer" <wdhagemeyer@gmail.com> wrote:

Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I had the Volvo agency in Antigua A 1 pull the heads and inspect the pistons and everything looked fine. Thy are replacing all the hoses. Apparently the lack of use had them fouled. I passed on the order to replace the filters. Your comment; “carry larger than normal” is that referring to they must be Amel design? I hope they can find the right size. I will have to take the boat to Martinique in the next month or so anyway to get the warranty mast fix done.

Yes, the boat was priced lower, it was also in the right place for me. Last winter I spent a lot of time shopping the island condo market and Antigua kept coming back as an attractive location. They have a golf course and is a sailboat center. It took me a bit to accept that the government is really working to solve the past crime issues. Since 82 I have sailed almost every year in the Caribbean and I still hold out hope for the idealistic view. At the end of the day, the islands cannot allow drugs and crime to take hold. Tourism is there economic life blood. As a young man on Dominica once told me that we are a people of unparalleled civility, we are taught to smile and take your money.” I laughed and told him that was brilliant, I hope that never changes.

Duncan