Re: [Amel] Amel 54 Survey

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

OK we can start with the water maker.  One the pump is a 220 pump.  It will only run on 220 50 Cycle... Does the motor turn?
If the pump is not working.  It is not hard to fix it as it is a piston pump with O rings and some gaskets.  They can be had from the pump maker or Desalinator in France.  It is no surprise the membrane in the watermaker is dead.  They no big deal to replace they are NOT cheap.  Be sure to
take care with the O ring seals at the ends. As far as the unit goes, we did away with the electronic timer and went manual... when you get to
St. Martin on the Dutch side get it converted there. The guy that does
that work in under the gym on main st.

You do not have to get them from Amel.  If I have to get parts most of them come from the component maker direct.  If is is an Amel made part these are the phone numbers for service parts: +33 546 55 17 18  or  +33 546 55 00 75  email SERVICE: sav@amel.fr

The engine has electronic controls, who ever is doing the work MUST be sure all the safety switches are in good working order or it WILL NOT START.

Same with the Gen Set... The gen set is setup to run at 220 volts 50 cycle.  If you are going to run 110 volt stuff install a 24 volt to 110 inverter and wire the 110 plugs by way of a breaker box.  We used an 1800 watt Pro sign with 2500 watt start up surge.  The other item I'd would change is the battery charging system.  Get rid if the two you have now and put in a 100 amp smart charger that will accept 90 to 260 volts 50 or 60 cycle that way no matter your port you can plug in.  The other issue is that there have been any number of the 30 amp chargers that are dock side now get over loaded, when that do they cook the battery bank... That is a big oh shit... the best is to have one 100 amp charger that can handle the system.  For a more details on this subject call me.

As far as Festus and Jolly Harbor are concerned; Festus is a contractor that is independent and it'll be hard to get anything out of him.  You may be better off to see if you can get some free labor to get things right.  As far as the yard and the old owner.  See if you can the old owner to get whatever you can from the yard...  You can talk to the AMEL yard when they are doing the mast fix about the hatch leak as well, they may replace it free they've done so on other boats of that vintage.

What I would do very quickly is put a 220 volt dehumidifier on the boat and keep it running to dry it out.  Mold down there is a big issue.  There is a woman that runs a fabric shop in the little strip in Jolly Harbor that will make you whatever soft goods you need.  She can also get foam if you need it.  The laundry will also take care of washing the foam covers.  BE SURE TO TELL HER NO HOT WATER... GET THE STUFF BACK WET AND DRY IT IN THE SUN...

Even with all the stuff you are looking at now you've got a great boat.  Once you get to know her it'll take good care of you at sea on the hook or at the dock. You've bought the worlds best, enjoy her.

Richard