Re: [Amel] Amel 54 Survey

karkauai

Hi, Duncan,
My Amel SM 243 (1999) sat essentially unused on a fresh water lake in Oklahoma for 5 years.  When the survey was done almost everything worked. I repaired or replaced those items that weren't working before setting sail, and almost every other system went down over the next two years.  It cost me about 40% of the selling price (which was very good compared to other SM's)to really get her up and running like I wanted her.  I did have to hire people to work on her much of the time as she's my first big boat and first sailboat.  If I'd had the time and knowhow I could have saved half of that expense.  If you're handy and understand electricity, and have the time, you'll end up with a great boat and know the systems from top to bottom.  If you have to hire people to work on her, you'll find there are many systems on Amels that aren't the same as other boats...you'll spend a good bit of money paying good technicians to figure them out.  Or you'll spend
a good bit of money paying poor technicians and then pay again to fix what they didn't understand.
Best of luck.  This forum is an invaluable resource.  Almost any question you ask will be answered by one or often several sailors who know their boats much better than I do thus far.  Let us know what you name her and where you'll be.  We'd love to hook up and have a beer or rum with you.
Kent
SM 243
KRISTY