[Amel] Re: Amel Euros MD21A Questios for repowering: max RPM? RPM vs Speed?

Jose_Luis Isasi

Geez, man ! 16 knots !
Once I was at that speed in a 14 m catamaran (Fountaine Pajot).
I will look for 7m waves in the Med :-) when I go to Ibiza :-) in summer... :-)

Cheers
JL

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Geza Szabo <rotormail@...> wrote:

Hi Luis,

thanks for the information.

I have similar experience with my engine.

I have that workshop manual, too.

Once I hit 16.4 knots surfing down a 7+ meter wave. That was a rarity.
However surfing big waves often gives me to 13+ knots. :-)

Cheers
Geza

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Jose_Luis <lji0041@...> wrote:

**

Hi Geza,

The plans show a figure of 8,3 knots, but I have never reached this speed.
However I can get 6 knots at 2500 rpm (I usually do not pass it from 2200
rpm)on a flat sea.

In fact, I have only reached more than 8 knots surfing down a wave while
sailing in strong wind ...

I have the engine workshop manual scanned, and I will send the technical
data pages to your email.

Let me know if you need the whole package.

Regards
Jose Luis
Euros 41' Xalol

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "rotormaneuros41" <rotormail@>
wrote:

Hi,

recently I started a small project - painting the engine. I had small
leaks here and there so I removed some of the aux. things from the engine.
And then I found a long crack on the exhaust maniford. I removed it and
found that the tube inside the maniford is so corroded that when I touched
it it fall apart.
The cost of a new maniford is approx 7000 NZD plus I would need quite a
few other parts (including a new raw water pump) so this repair is getting
quite expensive.

So instead of repairing the old engine I am thingking about buying a new
one. I already got information from Amel about the prop size (FYI 19x13 C7
LH 35).
Now the dealer is asking me about the max RPM of my old engine. The max
rev I ever had was about 3000 (entering an atoll against strong currect).

My old eninge is the Volvo Penta MD21A with Borg Warner Transmission
(ratio 2.91)

So question #1: what was the max RPM you were using your engine?

Whenever I was motoring I was always running the engine at 2000 rpm
which gave me 5.5 knots or at 2200 around 6 knots, so I have no idea about
speed at higher rpms. What about you?

Question#2: RPM vs Speed on flat sea?

Cheers
Geza