Water heater/softener

itacknjibe <itacknjibe@...>

I've read with interest and concern many of the postings re: calcium
buildup in the Amel water heater, and wintering in Almerimar, Spain,
where the water is extremely hard has made it even more of a
concern. I have what I hope will be a good long term solution. I
went to a large comercial hardware store here in Spain and purchased
a generic, cartridge-type filter holder, much like the one used in
the pre-filters for the water maker. I have used a water softening
cartridge filled with large blocks of salt, and simply strap it to
the rail with velcro and run the water at the dock through it when I
fill the tanks. The results are immediately noticable, and there is
no discernable salt taste to the water. A friend with the same setup
has used it for 3 months and still has what appears to be a full
salt cartridge. The total cost including an extra cartridge and hose
fittings was about 45 Euros. Much better than pulling the water
heater.

Fair winds,
Bill Sogno di Mare
SM2000 #404