Re: [Amel] Climma Heating

Richard,

Yes, the fan needs to be set to HIGH when in the heat mode. My point was that the fan was NOT running at HIGH speed when set to HIGH because the fan speed capacitors (CM, C1 & C2) were not functioning properly and needed to be replaced.

Because the fan was not running at HIGH speed (when set to HIGH), the thermal safety switch was cutting OFF the current to the electric heating coils.

Bill
BeBe

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

Hi according to the heater manual the electric heater fan ALWAYS needs to be on high. To keep it from turning off.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Nov 20, 2011, at 1:56, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Eric,

There is a small "safety thermal switch" on the electric heating coil assembly. This switch opens as the temperature of the switch rises. And, it does not take much of an increase...for instance at Medium fan speed that switch will open and cut off current to the heating coils because the switch temperature rises above range. I do not know the temp specs and range of this "safety thermal switch", but it is low enough to require HIGH fan speed. See the "safety thermal switch" here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/photos/album/324976668/pic/589422353/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

With the fan assembly dismounted from the Condenser Coil Assembly, I energized the heating...The fan started turning, I saw the "safety thermal switch" close and within seconds the switch opened because of zero air flow...very sensitive. Also, if you notice my photo, the switch is conducive to corrosion.

This safety thermal switch is only in the Heating circuit and is not connected to the A/C circuit.

To answer your question I believe that the one or more of the 3 420-470 volt 2uF polypropylene capacitors has deteriorated and out of spec. These capacitors control the fan speed. If you replace them I think you will find what I experienced: High speed will be much higher than it was before you replace them. I believe that I simply did not notice that the fan had slowed because the capacitors deteriorated slowly over time.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently N Cyprus

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlite@> wrote:

Bill,

I am just wondering why the A/C works fine on high speed but the heater cuts
out.

Any thoughts?

Fair Winds

Eric