Re: [Amel] Climma Heating

jlm@jlmertz.fr

For your information on Cottonbay we use all the 3 heating positions
witch 3 fans position and it works well.
In the Clima heating box there are two things
1- thermal switch that regulate the air temperature in this box at
approximatively 60°C
2- an thermal fuse (120°C) that protect the boat for fire risk if the
thermal switch failed
JLuc on CottonBay

Le 21/11/2011 07:04, Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe a écrit :

Richard,

Yes, the fan needs to be set to HIGH when in the heat mode. My point
was that the fan was NOT running at HIGH speed when set to HIGH
because the fan speed capacitors (CM, C1 & C2) were not functioning
properly and needed to be replaced.

Because the fan was not running at HIGH speed (when set to HIGH), the
thermal safety switch was cutting OFF the current to the electric
heating coils.

Bill
BeBe

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, Richard03801
<richard03801@...> wrote:

Hi according to the heater manual the electric heater fan ALWAYS
needs to be on high. To keep it from turning off.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Nov 20, 2011, at 1:56, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe"
<yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Eric,

There is a small "safety thermal switch" on the electric heating
coil assembly. This switch opens as the temperature of the switch
rises. And, it does not take much of an increase...for instance at
Medium fan speed that switch will open and cut off current to the
heating coils because the switch temperature rises above range. I do
not know the temp specs and range of this "safety thermal switch", but
it is low enough to require HIGH fan speed. See the "safety thermal
switch" here:

With the fan assembly dismounted from the Condenser Coil Assembly,
I energized the heating...The fan started turning, I saw the "safety
thermal switch" close and within seconds the switch opened because of
zero air flow...very sensitive. Also, if you notice my photo, the
switch is conducive to corrosion.

This safety thermal switch is only in the Heating circuit and is
not connected to the A/C circuit.

To answer your question I believe that the one or more of the 3
420-470 volt 2uF polypropylene capacitors has deteriorated and out of
spec. These capacitors control the fan speed. If you replace them I
think you will find what I experienced: High speed will be much higher
than it was before you replace them. I believe that I simply did not
notice that the fan had slowed because the capacitors deteriorated
slowly over time.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently N Cyprus

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, kimberlite <kimberlite@>
wrote:

Bill,

I am just wondering why the A/C works fine on high speed but the
heater cuts
out.

Any thoughts?

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: Richard03801 <richard03801@>
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Thursday, 17 November 2011 1:08 AM

Ã,
Hi Bill by the sound of it test the condensers but be sure you
discharge
each one as you test it. You will need a multi meter with that
feature. You
can buy replacements from most electronic stores.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Nov 16, 2011, at 4:38, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe"
<yahoogroups@>
wrote:

I am experiencing a problem with the aft cabin Climma Heater.

It will turn ON and after about 20 seconds the heating
element will turn
ON and the unit will pull about 5-6 amps. It will run for 1 to 2
minutes,
then the heating element will turn off and the amp usage drops
to around 1
amp.

I read in the Climma Manual the following: "If there is a
failure of the
fan or the air circulation is clogged or obstructed, an internal
safety
klaxon cuts the element off to prevent overheating." I assume
that by
"safety klaxon" the manual is referring to a thermostatic switch
which
disables the heating cycle as a safety measure.

Can anyone give me some additional information regarding
this "safety
klaxon"/thermostatic switch. My questions are: Where is it
located? Any
photos? Have you replaced it? Where did you source the part,
etc., etc.

Thanks,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387